CARE Enrollment

What is CARE?     CARE stands for Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy, and it is a program for income qualified customers to receive a discount on their energy bill every month though August 2014.


Is my household income qualified?    If your household makes at or below the amount in the chart for your household size, you may qualify.  A caseworker will verify your household’s income and members.

2013-2014 Annual Income   2013-2014 Monthly Income
HH Size 150%   HH Size 150%
1  $17,235 1  $1,436
2  $23,265 2  $1,939
3 $29,295 3  $2,441
4 $35,325 4  $2,944
5 $41,355 5  $3,446
6 $47,385 6  $3,949
7 $53,415 7  $4,451
8 $59,445 8 $4,954
9 $65,475 9  $5,456
10 $71,505 10 $5,959
11 $77,535 11 $6,461
12 $83,565 12 $6,964

How much is the discount?    The discount is 40% off the usage on your bill.  For example, if you used $100 in energy, you would receive a $40 credit on your account, leaving only $60 in energy expenses that you would owe.

Here are some more examples to help you estimate the impact of CARE.  A caseworker can assist you with what this might actually look like for your own bill.

Annual Usage 
Gas &Electric Gas Only Electric Only
Estimated Usage Cost




Discount Amount




Energy Cost Owed





One Month High Winter Usage 
  Gas &Electric Gas Only Electric Only
Estimated Usage Cost




Discount Amount




Energy Cost Owed




What am I required to do to participate?
There are only three things you need to do to receive the discount:

  • Enroll in the program with the help of a caseworker.
  • Complete the Every Day Actions Save Energy (EASE) assessment, a survey about your energy use.
  • Pay your bill by the due date every month.


What’s the catch?     As a CARE participant, you cannot:

  • Apply for State Emergency Relief (SER) energy benefit from DHS for your Consumers Energy service.
  • Make payment arrangements on any past-due balance, so past-due amounts need to be taken care of prior to enrollment.  Ask a caseworker if there are resources available to help with this.
  • Be on any other Consumers Energy payment plan or credit discount at the same time as CARE.


What if I miss a payment?    

If you cannot pay your bill by the due date, you will receive a courtesy Past-Due Reminder call from Consumers Energy. This call is a warning that, unless payment is received within one week, you will be removed from CARE and will no longer receive the discount.


If you are removed from CARE due to non-payment, you will not be able to:

  • Re-enroll in CARE this year.
  • Enroll in the Shut-Off Protection Plan (SPP) until September 2014.
  • Receive DHS State Emergency Relief (SER) for your Consumers Energy service until November 2014.


However, you can:

  • Make payment arrangements on the past-due balance, or
  • Enroll in the Winter Protection Plan (WPP).


Service Locations:

CountyPhone numberStreet AddressCityZip
Alleganmultiplecontact Kalamazoo or HollandKalamazoo Or Hollandmultiple
Bay989-893-3041401 N Tenth StBay City48707
Benzie231-723-6243415 River StreetManistee49660
Berrien269-927-1353233 Michigan StreetBenton Harbor49022
Branch517-279-811635 W. Chicago stColdwater49036
Calhoun269-966-4162400 Capital AveBattle Creek49016
Cheboygan810-232-2198444 South MainCheboygan49721
Clinton517-484-4424525 North Pennsylvania AvenueLansing48912
Eaton517-484-4424525 North Pennsylvania AvenueLansing48912
Emmet231-347-3531712 Pleasant StreetPetoskey49770
Grand Traverse231-946-46441239 Barlow StreetTraverse City49686
Gratiot989-463-2864425 Republic StreetAlma48801
Hillsdale517-437-4240160 East BaconHillsdale49242
Ingham517-484-4424525 North Pennsylvania AvenueLansing48912
Ionia989-463-2864425 Republic StreetAlma48801
Isabella989-773-46631308 BurchMt Pleasant48858
Jackson517-782-7185806 East Pearl StreetJackson49201
Kalamazoo269-344-61191700 South Burdick StreetKalamazoo49001
Kent616-459-94681215 East Fulton StreetGrand Rapids49503
Lake231-796-5597325 LindenBig Rapids49307
Leelanau231-946-46441239 Barlow StreetTraverse City49686
Lenawee517-265-2038217 W. Church StreetAdrian49221
Livingston517-546-4750503 Lake StreetHowell48843
Macomb (Mt. Clemens)586-469-671255 Church StreetMt. Clemens48043
Macomb (Warren)586-754-740024140 Mound RoadWarren48091
Manistee231-723-6243415 River StreetManistee49660
Mason231-843-3711114 East Melendy StreetLudington49431
Mecosta231-796-5597325 LindenBig Rapids49307
Midland989-496-2787330 Waldo AvenueMidland48642
Monroe734-457-0440815 East First Monroe48161
Monroe (Temperance)734-224-79917200 Lewis AveTemperance48182
Montcalm989-463-2864425 Republic StreetAlma48801
Muskegon231-773-32841221 ShonatMuskegon49442
Newaygo231-796-5597325 LindenBig Rapids49307
Oakland (Farmington Hills)248-477-115327500 ShiawasseeFarmington Hills48336
Oakland (Pontiac)248-334-2407469 Martin Luther King Blvd S.Pontiac48342
Oakland (Royal Oak)248-585-56003015 North Main StreetRoyal Oak48073
Osceola231-796-5597325 LindenBig Rapids49307
Ottawa (Grand Haven)616-842-3380310 North DespelderGrand Haven49417
Ottawa (Holland)616-392-4461104 CloverHolland49422
Saginaw989-401-78822030 North Carolina StreetSaginaw48602
Shiawassee989-725-7485302 Exchange StreetOwosso48867
St. Joseph269-651-4275105 North 4th StreetSturgis49091
Washtenaw (Ann Arbor)734-668-8353100 Arbana DriveAnn Arbor48103
Washtenaw (Ypsilanti)734-482-47009 South Park St.Ypsilanti48198
Wayne (Dearborn Heights)313-563-445726700 West Warren AvenueDearborn Heights48127
Wayne (N. Wayne/Westland)734-722-36602300 VenoyWestland48186
Wayne (Plymouth)734-453-54649451 South Main StreetPlymouth48170
Wexford231-775-7131725 Wright StCadillac49601